The City of Talisay is a fourth class city in the province of Negros Occidental, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a total population of 97,571 people. It is part of the metropolitan area called Metro Bacolod, which includes its neighbors Silay to the north and Bacolod to the south. It has a total land area of 20,118 hectares (49,710 acres).
The Negritos, natives who led nomadic lives at the foot of scenic North Negros Mountain ranges, originally inhabited Talisay. In 1788, families of Malay descent settled in the pristine part of Negros Island and named it Minuluan. Unknown to many, the sugar industry in province has its very roots in Talisay. The enterprising Recollect priest led by Fray Fernando Cuenca, spurred the economic development of this once sleepy sitio through the planting of sugarcane in vast tracts of land we call ‘haciendas’.
The seedlings, brought from Spain, thrived well in the rich, loamy soil. Fray Cuenca improved sugar production of the crude wooden mills with the invention of ‘Molino de Agua’-and the rest they say is history. The Spanish colonizers became guardians of our economic, socio-political and spiritual lives, and with more of the Minuluan population embracing the Catholic faith, the sitio was decreed a town on September 20, 1850, with San Nicolas de Tolentino as its patron saint. It was renamed Talisay, after the tree that grew in abundance along the mouth of the Matab-ang River.